Thursday 1 January 2009

Lies, damn lies & statistics

That's good. The bubble hasn't yet burst. Having not raced seriously for a while, I wasn't sure how the fitness levels were despite some good solid training. To be honest I wondered whether my autumn successes may have been isolated and not attainable again. So I lined up at the Pilot Inn '5' near Gloucester this morning not knowing what to expect. It was bitterly cold - the drive to the race had been quite spectacular, particularly around Birdlip where there was a complete whiteout of frost on the ground and in the trees; wish I'd had my camera - and I did a longish slow warm-up just to try to get the blood flowing.
Although a very small field, there was some decent quality and Jeremy (Billy Whizz) Bradley and Phil (blogger) Parry were soon out on their own. By the second mile I found myself in the next group and the five of us stayed together for the rest of the race. I only knew two of the group: Andy Prophett, a former winner of the Bourton 10km but coming back from injury, and Dave Lander who'd beaten me at Tewkesbury in November over the same distance. Paul Barlow had just beaten Lander on Boxing Day so he was a big target for me. Prophett was a nightmare to race against as he kept veering from side to side. We all took turns at the front of the group and that maintained the pace. It took an age to reach the turn around point on the out & back course with the latter stages being very undulating. On the way back I pushed on up one of the hills, breaking up the group and dropping two including Lander. It was then a question of hanging on to the others. I sustained my pace to the finish although Pete Stephens from Severn surprised me right on the line. That disappoinment was more than made up for by my time of 27.29 (out 13:45, back 13:44), my best for 18 years! What's more I am now ranked No.1 in the country at V50 for 5 miles in 2009. OK we've only had 12 hours of the year so far but nobody can take away the fact that I topped the national rankings!!
A happy, healthy & enjoyable New Year to all. May there be friendlieness & peace everywhere (and may the €uro crash so that we can afford to buy property in France!).