Monday 2 February 2009

Glutton for punishment

Three races in six days, not the most sensible thing to do - especially in January - but there were good reasons for all three:

1. Did Tuesday night's Bridge Inn 5km so that I could post a ranking time. Unfortunately after a lovely calm, dry day, the wind got up and the rain came down with bad consequences. I felt that I was competitive yet was well shy of my 16:45 target. My splits of 8:11 / 8:59 on the out & back course give the game away. It was straight into the wind on the way back. What was more annoying was tweaking a hamstring on the wet, dark, twisty footpath. Bah, humbug. Justin had planned to come down with me but must have seen the forecast as he pulled out, sensible man. Enjoyed the company of Chris Riches for a beer afterwards and we waxed lyrical on club problems.
2. I don't miss mob matches and Blackheath completed another winter's efforts (that's 135 now since 1974). Chris decided he needed a workout and racing on Saturday fits in much better to the training routine so he not only came along but he obliterated the field, winning by four minutes! His only problem on this old fashioned, traditional one lap course that took in a dozen stiles (see pictures of us both) and went up hill and down dale, was to stay on course. Great run and should give him confidence going forward. I was pleased to beat all Ranelagh bar Chris & thus win the Harry Sheer trophy as 1st V50, except that no one could find the trophy! Shame as Harry was a dear old friend of mine - he loved cricket & running - before he died many years ago.

3. Adrian was struggling all week to get a decent team out for the Oxford League. It was bitterly cold and I didn't fancy a long run alone so despite an aching body from yesterday's racing and long drive, I ran. I did a six mile run to get some Sunday miles in then lined up near the back of the field. With the bitter weather it wasn't too muddy so I wore flats - as I had at Blackheath - and had a lovely run, gradually moving through the field. The great news afterwards was that Cirencester won by a solitary point. Fantastic. Did a four mile recovery run in the evening before a long soak in the bath. I need a rest!