Tuesday 4 August 2009

Difficult decision

Still reeling from the awful news of Stephen's death last week. And as I feared, we won't be able to attend his funeral on Tuesday as we'll be away in Finland & Russia. I'm a bit down with that but there was no choice in the matter. I just feel that I want to formally pay my respects to a dear friend so we'll have a quiet moment at the time of the funeral.

Now in the throes of getting organised for our northern odyssey. Claudie and I are off to Finland tomorrow (Thursday). The World Masters Athletics Championships are being held in Lahti, about 100km north of Helsinki and I have rather stupidly entered the marathon which takes place on Saturday, the last day of the championships. This is a big event with athletes from all over the world competing in all age groups from 35 to 100 and is held bi-annually - Sacramento in California in 2011 for anyone interested!

The question is, should I run? I've put in the training, with lots of consistent mileage and plenty of long runs, but the last month has been dogged by a progressive pain in my abdomen which is still to be fully diagnosed. I have been told by my doctor and physio that I won't do myself any permanent damage by running so it's a question of whether the pain threshold is bearable. Of course it may mask the pain of running 26.2 miles in which case I should run well! All logic and common sense dictates that I should stand on the sidelines and watch the race but ... The course is two laps so I'll probably start - at least I'll get to wear my GB vest and run in a world champs - then see how I'm doing at halfway. If I look really bad - nothing new there - then Claudie will probably drag me off the course anyway!

We have a week or so in Finland, initially staying in a lakeside resort, then Helsinki, before taking the 5½ hour train journey into Russia and St Petersburg for a few days. Should be interesting.

My last race before the marathon was for Ranelagh in the Elmbridge 10km on a delightful course by the River Thames at Walton (see picture at 9km). Despite initial pain problems, I soon got into a good rhythm and sustained sub 3:30 k's throughout to achieve my best non-Bourton 10km time for 16 years. I even managed to beat all the V40's which was nice. The fitness is there but is the body willing?