Monday 6 June 2011

Race for Life

Went for a run yesterday and got as far as Cirencester Park. With regular runs throughout 2011, I'm at least building some sort of base without overstretching myself: started with five minute jogs then a couple of months at 10-15 minutes a couple of times a week; now can manage up to 30 mins although mostly easy runs around 15-20 mins only. No real change healthwise as everything hurts from head to Achilles, but weight still dropping slowly and it's so lovely just to be able to run.

In the park I stumbled across a mass of pink as (mainly) ladies gathered for the 5km Race for Life. One small group of half a dozen were congregated behind one of the park's many stone follies; as I reached them I realised they were having a smoke before the race. Killing themselves whilst trying to save others, a juxtaposition if ever there was one. My first reaction was what idiots they were but then I decided that their outing was pretty impressive and deserved of praise. Would like to know what time they ran and what state they were in at the end, mind.

Talking of smokers, a promised mention for Sue Soar, the aunt of one of my oldest mates Rob Wise (I once took 5-14 as we skittled his U14 school team out for about 30, although he insists that he cover drove me to the boundary, about as likely as Rob managing to run as well as he talks about running [he's a scholar on the sport and would make a great coach]). Sue was born in 1939 and although she's run for many years, was a smoker until just three years ago. Since turning 70 she has run two marathons - both in her home town of Brighton - ranking top FV70 in the country in 2010 with 4.23.36 and to date 2nd nationally this year with 4.35.16 on a scorching hot day. As with Ed Whitlock in Canada (see previous blogs), Sue's running is based on lots of lsd (long steady distance) either on Brighton's seafront or on the beautiful South Downs overlooking the town. That's the way to do it.