Thursday 18 February 2010

Dutch courage needed

Just had to take this photograph. Was out walking in the freezing Dutch countryside in Schoorl, a small north-west coastal village, last weekend when came across this haulage yard. What a magnificent moniker for a haulage company: Krap Transport if you can't read it (click on picture for better view). The business pages of a national broadsheet has been running a thread of these this week so I got mine added today.

Schoorl was also the venue for my first beers of 2010, a whole 45 days into the year. They went down very well as I watched the Dutch going mad over their first gold in the Olympics, in speed skating. I even managed a half decent run despite the bitter weather. Did a 38 minute warm-down (not that I'd raced) in reverse direction on the beautiful 10k course (not full distance I might add, missing a loop at start) after Michelle's great win. It was a good day's sport with 21km and 30km races starting together at 11am (5,000 runners) and then the international 10km at 2.30pm with another 5,000 runners. All in this tiny village with one hotel and a handful of houses, plus aforementioned excellent haulage company. It snowed nearly all day but the temperature stayed just above freezing so the roads were just about ok. See this short video for a view of the lovely course & conditions: http://www.groetuitschoorl.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=137:bekijk-de-sfeerbeelden&catid=2:nieuws&Itemid=49

My room mate at the hotel was an Irish PhD student - physics, so we discussed the wonderful programme on infinity on tv last week - he ran in the 30km. Remarkably, after I inevitably bored someone else with my osteitis pubis, it turns out that he suffered with it a couple of years ago. Said patience was the key plus lots of core work. He also told me that the top class US college based Irish runner Martin Fagan also suffers with it. He is a reknowned hard man and is trying to run through it. All I can say is good luck but beware of what you are doing to yourself. That's now six athletes I'm aware of with this problem. By talking to as many as possible I'm building up some sort of picture; this might help my future decision making.

I shall certainly need some Dutch courage to get round Saturday's mob match. I clicked over another year this week so not only do I have to fight lack of fitness through virtually no running, but also senility and creaking joints. However, there is one thing I've learnt from a horrible 12 months: do not regret growing older, it is a privilege denied to many. With my 38 mins in Holland, another 27 mins in Fairford (too far, bad reaction afterwards) and a couple of short jogs, I've done all I can to prepare given the circumstances so let's see if I can negotiate Richmond Park. Miles 13 (that's 60 in 8 weeks this year), weight 12st 13lbs.

PS Can't end without congratulating Wendy & Justin on the birth of Gabriel (Angel) this week. With Niel recently fathering a son it's now down to Adam to complete the hat trick of Cirencester babies born within a few weeks of each other.