Tuesday 23 February 2010

A mucky end

That's it then ...

The Richmond Park course, usually dry as a bone, was quite mucky in places. This clearly explains my 10 minute decline in 12 months over a mere 7½ miles. I got round my 139th mob match but only just. Dragging my aching limbs through the mud on the second lap was cruel and when added to my total inability to maintain a forward running motion on the slightest of climbs, all helps to make my decision about the future quite easy.

The day was a wonderful occasion as Ranelagh pulled out all the stops to match the club record turnout of 106 in 1988, just failing as 92 toed the line. We therefore easily won the match to give the club a 2-2 record this winter in mobs. As ever with Blackheath, the craic afterwards was fantastic as we all retired to The Roebuck at the top of Richmond Hill and talked about the day, races past and anything else that came up, over a few pints. Surely the whole point of sport and something that, at Ranelagh at least, hasn't changed. Even our best man and my ex-flatmate, Simon Collingridge, was there (fatter than ever but still beating me). This is why I've kept my links and why I do the mobs. Going to a local Sunday morning 10k, running the race and driving straight home in wet kit loses the essence of what the camaraderie of sport means.

Some interesting comparative statistics say a lot about what has happened to the sport in the last 22 years since our biggest turnout. In 1988, the first two (Tim Nash of Blackheath 14 seconds ahead of Hugh Jones) broke 40 mins; 90 broke 50 mins; 16 failed to beat the hour and the last finisher in 198th did 1:08:40. On Saturday the winner (Phil Killingley) ran 43:40, 1:40 clear of Pete Haarer in 2nd and 3:40 ahead of 3rd; 12 beat 50 mins; 68 took more than an hour and the recorders had to wait until 1:43:53 for the 123rd and last finisher.

Amazing statistics and why I keep telling those that want to listen that there are opportunities out there, for anyone willing to put in some hard graft, to make a real impact on the sport. That's also why I like helping those with the right attitude who recognise that they can improve massively with good solid training over a sustained period and not just every February & March because London is just around the corner. It's all about lifestyle and attitude. Train hard, have belief and enjoy a balanced life i.e. not just running. Talking of which, picture shows Natalie working hard in Paris.

Will I do a Sinatra / Henin / Schumacher? Who knows, but I see no pleasure in grafting out 57 mins in a mob match on an ongoing basis. My health problems mean that a return is unlikely.

PS If anyone is interested in buying my 2003 MG TF please get in touch.